Prefer to listen? Click below.
Have you ever walked into your closet and picked out a piece of clothing only to find that it no longer fits?
Yeah, me too. A few months ago, I was in a hurry to meet some girlfriends for dinner. I reached into my closet to grab my favorite pair of jeans. As I went to slide them on, something happened.
They didn’t slide.
Instead, they stopped around my derriere.
Something must be wrong, I thought.
Immediately, I did the fall on the bed and flail around routine to get them on. (I know you know what I’m talking about.)
It didn’t work.
My jeans were tight. Too tight.
What was going on? I immediately knew the answer.
I was out of my Sweet Spot.
What is the sweet spot?
It’s that delicious space in time when you are experiencing power, presence and passion.
It’s when it feels like you are in the flow of life.
It’s when you are eating beautiful foods in just the right amounts and moving your body in ways that make you energized and powerful
It’s when you’re showing up in your life as the woman you desire to BE and living with intention.
…I didn’t back out of dinner and melt into a puddle of tears.
…I didn’t jump on Amazon and start looking for the newest detox plan.
…I didn’t swear to myself that I’d start an insane workout tomorrow.
…I also didn’t run to the fridge to eat the container of leftover Thai food that was waiting for my moment of weakness or hopelessness.
In other words, I didn’t spiral into doom, gloom and despair.
Instead, I chuckled.
Fortunately, I have become a woman who has learned how to be bien da sa peau, even with a few extra pounds.
So, I found a beautiful dress that did fit and off to dinner I went to have a most fabulous time.
For any woman who has struggled with her weight and body image, you understand how the scale, a pair of jeans or bathing suit shopping can trigger our tender hearts.
We spend our precious time cursing every angle, dimple, stretch mark, roll or anything that doesn’t fit our ideal.
In fact, anything you desire to create in your life requires that stop fighting with your life — your bank account, relationship status, career, anything.
How I slid back into my favorite pair of jeans
It’s imperative that every woman finds her sweet spot.
In my “tight jean” situation, I did 2 things:
1. I was honest with what was going on.
2. I met myself with respect and compassion, not self-hatred and disgust.
Here’s what I’ve come to discover:
The worst thing that can happen with tight jeans (or anything)
is what happens in your own mind.
If we make a number on a scale, our bank account, relationships status, or yes, a pair of tight jeans mean that we are failures and hopeless, it will be impossible to get back into our sweet spot.
On the other hand, if we recognize that we are women and fluctuations throughout the seasons of our life is part of our experience, then we can meet ourselves with curiosity and easily get back into a state of grace and empowerment.
The secret is to not create a doom and gloom story in your mind about how hopeless your situation is or how worthless you are; simply see it as a sign that you need to tune back into your body and life and tweak your routine petit a petit.
In other words, don’t go to extremes, ones you won’t be able to keep up. This is setting yourself up for failure and will spiral you into toxic patterns.
Instead, set yourself up for success by learning how to get into your Sweet Spot.
Getting to your Sweet Spot takes self-awareness and curiosity.
When I was wrestling to get into my jeans, I had to ask myself some revealing questions (without judgement):
What’s been going on darling?
What have you neglected?
What do you need to let go of?
What do you need to add?
What are you going to do next?
Let me assure you: it was about so much more than food.
With a new awareness and some simple (and pleasurable tweeks), I was back in my Sweet Spot within a few weeks.
Whether it’s your body, relationships or career (or maybe all three), everything you desire resides in your Sweet Spot.
And, here’s what I want you to know about getting there:
- It doesn’t have to be a struggle. In fact, it will be pleasurable when you fall in love with the practice. If not, it will be a challenge. Trust me, I know.
- It’s ludicrous to think that you can live in the sweet spot 100% of the time (weight never fluctuating, pure bliss 24-7, floating around in nirvana). You’re human, and life has its seasons – seasons of womanhood, nature, life priorities. As long as you are checking in with yourself on a regular basis, you can easily adjust and get back into your sweet spot with ease. In other words, don’t sweat it, but don’t neglect it either.
- Getting to the sweet spot should be fun. You are your biggest puzzle to figure out! Stop judging and start investigating.
- It doesn’t matter if you think you are far from finding your sweet spot. I’m here to tell you that it’s not as far as you think. In fact, with certain principles, you can begin sliding into it immediately.
- The sweet spot is not a one-shot deal; it’s a lifetime practice.
- Everyone’s Sweet Spot is different. That’s why formulas and blueprints don’t usually work, unless you’re trying to figure out a math problem.
- The sweet spot is where the magic of life unfolds! When I’m in my Sweet Spot, I am full of excitement, passion and joie de vivre. I am unstoppable.
- Living in the Sweet Spot requires elegance — an internal sophistication of confidence.
I’m thrilled to report that I slid back into my jeans within a few weeks. No drama. No diets.
And, I ate chocolate every night!
So, tell me: Do you know what your Sweet Spot feels like? Do share in the comments.
If you want to learn 3 mindset shifts to get you into your sweet spot, I’d love for you to join my free program that’s available for a limited time, The 3 Truths of Elegant Women.
Elegant women know how to shift their minds to quickly get back into that space that where they feel fabulous, eat with pleasure and have that savoir-faire (the know how) to create what they want.
Join the over 10,000 women who are committed to living with more elegance and ease in their lives.
Design Your Most Extraordinary Life
Then, start living it
IF YOU LIKE IT, SHARE IT